Neck and back pain are probably two of the most common reasons people come to see a physiotherapist. 80% of adults in New Zealand will experience back pain at some point!
The most common form of back pain is called acute lower back pain and this may occur suddenly following an activity or develop over a short time frame when an action is repeated frequently.
Some of the causes of low back pain can include:
- Normal ageing process, wear and tear
- Poor posture
- Lifting or carrying heavy loads
- Sports Injuries or other accidents
- Certain diseases
- Repetitive strain
- having your head or neck in an unusual position for some time
- repeated or extensive movements
- stress or anxiety
- arthritis in the bones of your spine (vertebrae)
- muscle strain from injury
- sleeping with a pillow that is too big or too small.
Other causes of neck pain can be:
- pinched nerves
- inflamed lymph nodes
- bone disorders
- thyroid inflammation