As a Pilate’s clinic, we offer different Pilates-based services. These include mat classes of varying levels, equipment based exercise classes and one on one appointments focusing on tailoring a Pilates programme suitable to your ability.
One of the main aims of Pilates is to ensure the stabilising muscles to the spine are effectively working during exercise and functional daily activities. We will aim to prevent fatigue which is caused by unwanted muscle activity and limit any incorrect movement patterns. Pilates also focuses on flexibility/muscle length.
What are some key concepts of Pilates?
- Breathing: The most important rule when it comes to breathing is to not hold your breathe! It is important to follow your instructor’s guidelines about your breathing technique. If you can breathe comfortably during exercise and maintain activation of the ab line, this will often translate to activation of this muscle during normal daily activities
- Neutral spine: This refers to the position of the spine which is halfway between fully flattened on the mat/ground and fully arched
- The ab line: Engaging the ab line refers to activation of the transverse abdominis muscle. This muscle is crucial in supporting the spine and should be working all the time at a low intensity
What are some benefits that can be gained from Pilates:
- Increase in core strength
- Ensuring correct movement patterns are developed
- Increasing flexibility
- Ensuring correct breathing technique during core exercises